Okay, so it’s becoming clear now that I like recipes that don’t require a ton of ingredients, isn’t it? 🙂
From my 3-Ingredient Fizzy Popsicles to my 3-Ingredient Cinnamon Raisin Energy Bites, I’ve now moved on to 3-ingredient meals! This recipe is a riff off of my 2-Ingredient Pancakes, but with a bit more staying power. Lately I’ve been eating breakfast later than usual (aka at my desk at 9am as opposed to before my commute at 8am), but having something more substantial so that I don’t have to have such a big mid-morning snack.
There really isn’t a reason for this, and you should always listen to your body of course, but I personally am trying to cut back on eating out of boredom. Sitting at a desk all day definitely lends itself to shoveling in handfuls of nuts mindlessly and convincing myself I’m starving an hour after a nutritious lunch, even if I’m definitely not. Anyone else have this problem!?
Now these pancakes can’t exactly be made too far in advance and brought to work, unless you have crazy amounts of extra time in the morning, but sticking with my eating schedule even on weekends helps to keep me on track. Though this breakfast may look super decadent, it’s really just bananas, eggs and protein powder! How easy is that?! The frosting is also just peanut butter and almond milk, but if you’re not feeling that you could leave it out or opt for something else like plain greek yogurt or fruit!
Keep 2 things in mind about this recipe:
1. It’s best to give yourself about 20 minutes to whip these up – the key is to have the heat on medium and not hotter otherwise the outside will burn and the inside won’t cook, which will cause your pancakes to stick to the pan (and be inedible!)
2. If you’ve got one, I definitely suggest using a food processor or blender to make the pancake batter, that way it’s nice and smooth. If you don’t have one, it’s totally fine, just make sure you take a few extra minutes and are ready to use some muscle power to get the lumps out of the bananas and protein powder!
3-Ingredient Protein Pancakes
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 medium ripe banana (I like mine with just a touch of brown spots!)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I like Garden of Life!)
1. Spray a small or medium size pan with coconut oil spray and heat over medium on the stovetop.
2. As your pan is heating, combine all 3 ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth (it shouldn’t take long!).
3. Pour the batter onto the heated pan, or spoon for better leverage! I like to make a bunch of small pancakes, but feel free to do a few larger ones! You’ll find that the batter will spread pretty quickly, so a little will go a long way. Heat for about 3 minutes a side, or until you start to see tiny bubbles in the pancake. I also like to check by trying to slide my flipper (is that what it’s called?!) underneath and if it pops up no problem, it’s ready to flip!
4. Cook the pancake on the other side for 2-3 more minutes. Place on a plate, then cover, so it stays warm while the others are cookin’! Repeat with the rest of the batter and keep in mind the first and sometimes second pancakes never come out perfectly! You’ll get the hang of it, and know that you may need to adjust the heat throughout so that they don’t burn.
Peanut Butter Frosting
1 tbsp peanut butter (I love Nuts N’More!)
2 tbsp almond milk or water
1. In a small bowl, heat the peanut butter and almond butter in the microwave for ~10 seconds, until they’re easy to stir together. *If your peanut butter is drippy, you can probably skip this step!
2. Drizzle on top of your pancakes and sprinkle on some cinnamon too, if you’d like! Dig in 🙂
What’s your favorite way to fuel-up?