“Wait this is really good, are you sure it’s vegan and gluten free?” -actual words from my bf after trying this😂
For the first time ever, I tried baking with hazelnut flour and now I can confirm: it is very much like baking with almond flour and VERY much delicious. Highly recommend👌🏻
This bread is pretty dang easy to make, gluten-free, vegan (unless you decide to use a different protein powder or regular eggs instead of flax eggs), and has zero added sugar since it’s sweetened by the mashed banana. It’s also insanely tasty topped with nut butter, just a tip.
Oh, and one more tip – it’s moist, so need to worry about it being crumbly per se, but if you don’t let it cool properly before transferring it out of the loaf pan, it might break apart! Just FYI😊
GF & Vegan Chai Protein Banana Bread
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup hazelnut flour (or more almond flour)
1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Chai Protein Booster (or vanilla & add spices)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 flax eggs – 2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (or regular eggs)
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, grease a loaf pan with coconut oil, and make flax eggs (they need to sit for just 10 minutes to form!).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including both flours, protein powder, baking powder, and spices.
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave, then add in the mashed banana, vanilla and flax eggs.
- Pour into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and fold to combine. Then transfer to the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely (at least 20 minutes) before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to a month.
Let me know if you try this recipe! It’s seriously one of my favorites, I’m just waiting for more ripe bananas so I can make it again!😊