Happy Monday, y’all!
Let’s do ourselves a favor as we inch our way towards Memorial Day weekend (aka the start of summer) and make ourselves a treat. And then eat it for breakfast…
These donuts are crazy delicious and surprisingly packed with protein and healthy things. Who knew?! They’re almost fudgy, sort of a cake-like brownie but without being too dry. I topped them with a smear of natural, unsalted peanut butter to give them an extra punch of flavor. But more importantly, what is better than chocolate and peanut butter together? Absolutely nothing. So I highly suggest making them today and having them each morning (and/or evening) to help get you through this week 🙂
Baked Double Chocolate Donuts & PB Frosting
(Adapted from Love from the Oven)
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar (I did slightly less)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used vanilla)
1/4 cup milk (any will do!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
3-4 tbsp natural peanut butter (Trader Joe’s is my favorite!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray donut pan with coconut oil or Pam.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, mix vanilla, egg, yogurt, milk and vanilla.
4. Combine dry ingredients with wet and add chocolate chips/coconut if using. Mix until just combined.
5. Spoon batter into donut pan making sure to push any batter away from the center. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes.
6. When completely cooled, top with peanut butter. Store leftovers in an airtight container or ziploc bags (although you won’t have very many 😉