This is a good one, guys.
Full-disclosure, this recipe is a copycat from one of my favorite spots to grab a quick, healthy bite in Boulder, CO. Since I didn’t get to visit it during my last Colorado trip, I knew I had to find a way to recreate it so I could get my fix! This dish is so easy to make (we’re talking 30 minutes from start to finish), makes a boatload of leftovers, and is as healthy as comfort food gets.
The chicken itself only takes 20 minutes and is so unbelievably flavorful, I can’t even. I don’t know about you, but I tend to struggle with making delicious chicken that isn’t horribly dry and boring. I think I’ve found the fix: rubbing an olive oil and spices mixture on each side before it goes in the oven. Just 20 minutes at 450 degrees does the trick and if you don’t want to use it all for this particular meal, I’m sure it would taste just as good (if not better) on top of a salad or with some roasted veggies.
Chicken Parmesan Quinoa
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp italian seasoning mix (I use one with a grinder so it tastes fresh!)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup dry quinoa
1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
1 package mozzarella, diced
1/4 cup parmesan
1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. On a baking sheet, place each piece of chicken side by side in an even layer. *If need be, pound the chicken so that it is all the same thickness.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and black pepper. Rub the mixture on each side of all pieces of the chicken. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. While the chicken is cooking, place 1 cup of dry quinoa and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for ~10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
4. With the stove on low heat, add the marinara sauce, tomato, mozzarella and parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
5. Once the chicken is done, dice it and stir it into the quinoa mix. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.