Oh man, I had so many things I wanted to do in the few days I had off in between jobs, and only about 1/3 of it got done😳 HOW DOES TIME MOVE SO QUICKLY?! But you know what, it’s okay, because I actually was decently productive and more importantly, was able to hit the re-set button a little. I’ve been trying a bunch of different workouts and meeting new people in the process, so that’s been fantastic. I also got to spend some quality time with friends and my boyfriend, so that’s always a plus. I feel like you can’t always check off every single thing on your to-do list, y’know? You have to prioritize and get the super important stuff done first…
Anyway, I digress! I think my point was going to be that I meant to write this post weeks ago but am only getting around to doing it today. I know a lot of people tend to fall off the wagon with resolutions for the year and what not, but I feel like consistency and routine helps sooooo much. Since my life is going to be changing starting today (with my new job!), and things have been busy regardless, I have one constant that’s helping me stay on track with my health and fitness goals and that’s my daily smoothie. I’ve raved about smoothies before on here, but let me reiterate again just how incredible these things are because you can literally pack an entire meal’s worth of nutrients into one little blender and make it taste AMAZING. Like how crazy is that?!
The smoothie I’ve been having almost every single day since the start of the new year looks a little something like this (depending on what’s in my fridge/freezer/pantry):
1/2 cup unsweetened almond, cashew or coconut milk
1/4 cup cold water
2 handfuls greens (kale or spinach)
1/4 cup fruit (mix of frozen banana and berries)
2 scoops HUEL
1 tbsp nut butter
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
It literally takes me all of 4 minutes to make since I throw everything in my NutriBullet and blend it for 30 seconds. That’s IT. I swear. And this thing will last me through until lunch at about 12:30 which is saying a looooot for this girl since my metabolism is usually through the roof in the morning. I used to have breakfast, a mid-morning snack at 11am, and then be hungry again by noon. That is no longer the case! Granted, this smoothie has a ton of calories and protein, but they all come from good stuff. I don’t count calories ever, I’m more concerned with the quality and nutrients of what’s going into my body.
If you’re wondering what HUEL is, it’s a nutritionally complete food that’s 100% vegan, contains 27 essential vitamins and minerals, plus protein, carbs and fats to power you through your day. So yeah, it’s about 10x better than a protein powder guys. It’s made from a blend of oats, pea protein, flaxseed, brown rice protein, MCT’s from coconut, and a vitamin & mineral blend. I chose the vanilla flavor, so it is flavored with vanilla and stevia, but the ingredient list is unbelievably clean. I also love that there’s minimal packaging and that HUEL has a shelf life of 12 months. It’s also super affordable, which I find impressive for a product that packs such a nutritious punch. They also make a gluten-free version, so that’s a plus for people that need an allergen-friendly option!
I think what I love so much about smoothies, especially now that I add HUEL to mine, is that they’re hella convenient. For someone who has to run out the door every morning and either eat breakfast in the car on the way to work or at work, being able to have a complete meal that I can simply drink is key. That being said though, I truly do not believe you need to spend more than $5 per smoothie to make it nutritious or delicious. If you invest up front in a few great items for your pantry, you’ll be good to go, making these meals absolutely perfect for #BabesOnABudget!
Now without further ado, here are my five must-have add-ins for healthy, tasty & filling smoothies!
1. Maca Powder – I love maca because it honestly just tastes really good, but it also is known for reducing stress hormones as well as the fiber and minerals it contains. It also boosts libido, so that’s always good😉
2. Spirulina Powder – I don’t know what it is, but just having spirulina makes me feel instantly healthier😂 It has a vey strong flavor so I use no more than half a teaspoon at once, but it’s 60% protein and a rich source of phytonutrients. It’s an all-around superfood that provides a huge boost in vitamins A, K1, K2 and B12.
3. Kale – This is another one that just makes me feel healthier when I do it, but I can say with 110% confidence that you will not be able to taste this stuff at ALL. I’m all about adding veggies wherever I can and being able to hide some in my breakfast is pretty sweet.
4. Nut Butter or Powdered Peanut Butter – I think nut butter is that one component that helps the smoothie keep me fuller for that extra hour. I know it’s added fat, but it’s also added protein AND tastes amazing. I could probably survive off peanut butter, so adding it to my smoothies makes them taste like such a treat while also providing me with some added protein and fat.
5. Ground Chia Seeds – If there’s one thing that’s in my pantry at all times, it’s ground chia seeds. I like to have flax seeds too, but chia somehow always takes priority for me. Again, they’re pretty much un-tasteable yet somehow provide added fiber, omega 3’s, antioxidants and calcium and all you need is a tablespoon. That’s pretty freakin’ magical, don’t you think?
Alright my friends, I hope you found this post helpful! I know it was a wordy one, but I wanted to make sure I provided you with some value today. But long story short, if you’re not having a green smoothie a day yet, it’s probably the easiest change you can make for your health 🙂
Have a great week!