Hello and Happy Humpday, My Friends!!
It’s been quite some time since we’ve had a donut recipe up on here, so I figured we were due😏 If you’ve been reading the blog for awhile now (we’re talkin’ years, people) then you’ll know I used to bake a looooot. Like I mean a LOT. Making healthier versions of my favorite treats was one of my favorite activities and I loved sharing them with friends.
Well, that was back in the day when I was a) exercising a whole lot more and for a living, basically and b) in my earlier 20’s and had the metabolism of a horse. Now, things are a bit different and truth be told, I don’t trust myself around a batch of treats 9 times out of 10. However! I did make these in advance of having some company over, so that was good motivation to not eat all 6 of these donuts at once😬 And I can tell you, everyone freakin’ LOVED them…so I know you will, too.
I made these donuts using 4th and Heart’s Chocti Passionfruit Ghee and just a quick word before we get to the recipe – 4th and Heart makes the BEST ghee I’ve ever tasted you guys. I’m not blowing sunshine and this post is not sponsored in any way, I just legitimately am obsessed with every single one of their products. The Madagascar Vanilla Bean has completely changed my toast game and the California Garlic is our new favorite for sautéed veggies.
Sooooo if you’re wondering, “Jordan what if I want to make these donuts but don’t have this ghee?” I will tell you that you can absolutely 100% make them, just sub it for plain ol’ coconut oil or ghee in the donut dough, and for the glaze? Idk maybe just melt a bunch of chocolate chips and drip them on there or something. Easy peasy.
Cocoa & Nut Butter Donuts
3/4 cup whole wheat, white or oat flour
2 tbsp. peanut flour (I used PB2)
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 whole egg
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup almond milk (or cashew or coconut milk)
3 tbsp. almond butter (the runnier the better!)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. 4th and Heart Chocti Passionfruit Ghee (or plain ghee) + more for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease a donut pan with coconut oil or ghee. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, peanut flour, baking powder and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, honey, milk, vanilla, ghee and almond butter.
2. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, but be sure not to overmix. Using a spoon or piping bag, fill the donut trays evenly (this recipe makes 6 medium-sized donuts.
3. Bake for 10 minutes and let sit for at least another 10 minutes to cool.
4. Once donuts have cooled, frost the top of each with a thin layer of 4th and Heart Chocti Passionfruit Ghee (or any of their other amazing Chocti flavors!). A little goes a very long way, so start with just a teaspoon or so and spread with a knife. You’ll see what I mean 🙂
5. Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to three days.
And there ya have it! I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but I promise it’s one of the easiest things to make. Let me know in the comments if there’s a certain kind of donut you’d like me to recreate! I definitely want to do more of those recipes on here😊
More of My Donut Recipes: