So tomorrow is my birthday and I wanted to share some of the wisdom I’ve learned in the past 28 years of my life. I jotted these lessons down partly for me (because practicing gratitude instantly makes me feel a bit better when I’m not feeling myself) and partly for you in hopes that maybe you’ll learn something, too!
1. You’re never going to be this young or free ever again so you might as well do some crazy sh*t. Heck, why not move across the country to a city where you know maybe just one person and follow your freakin’ dreams 😉
2. Moving far away may make relationships harder, but the ones who are worth it will reciprocate the effort. It’s a two way street, y’all.
3. It really does get better. Not everyday is going to be rainbows and unicorns, but know when to wallow and when to rise up. The lows make the highs even better 🙂
4. The best investment you can make is in yourself. Attend the school/conference/event that will teach you more about what you’re passionate about and if you need to take a loan out, you’ll make it work and pay it back. Knowledge isn’t free!
5. The money will come. Sometimes (most of the time) you have to pay your dues. Take these moments as learning experiences and don’t worry about the paycheck yet. That being said, no when to say enough is enough. You have value and deserve to be paid for your contributions and hard work.
6. You’ll never regret a trip you took. Travel while you can, and while you have minimal responsibilities (aka no kids!).
7.. Family is #1. Hands down, always. And if you’re not close with yours, find friends that become your family instead.
8. There’s nothing better than having good friends and a support system in life so treat relationships like they’re solid gold.
9. That being said, say goodbye to relationships that don’t serve you, lift you up, or make you smile. Not every moment can be perfect, but the highs should by far outweigh the lows.
10. Kindness. Is. Everything. I promise that nothing will get you farther in life than being a kind person.
11. Do favors. People notice and karma exists.
12. Others may be lucky, but working hard for what you want is far more important in the long run when it comes to gratitude and character.
13. Everything happens for a reason (and I so, so strongly believe that!). The job you didn’t get, the breakup you had to endure, the hardships. They teach you things so keep an eye out for the lesson and remember it in the future.
14. Treat your body like the friggin’ temple it is. Stretch, move, fuel it with goodness and love it for all it’s capable of.
15. Save when you can. You’ll be glad when you have money for a “rainy day.”
16. Women are so capable of becoming anything they want to be. Be independent, be strong and be a role model. Girls need more of those in this world (and I’m thankful I had mine!)
17. Your home should be your oasis, the place you come home to after a long and crazy day and instantly makes you feel comfortable.
18. The small things are often the big things. Don’t take small moments for granted.
19. Celebrate every single victory, no matter how small. You are accomplishing things and growing every single day and nothing is more motivating than stopping to recognize that.
20. You and your needs come first every single time. Give yourself time to rest and learn when to say no (and when to say yes!).
21. Treat yourself! What’s the point of living if you can’t indulge in the things you love?
22. If it doesn’t make you happy then let it go – the job, the boyfriend, the whatever-it-is that’s holding you back. You deserve happiness and life’s too short to hold on to things that make you miserable or bring you down.
23. Don’t wait for things to come to you. Work hard, manifest what you want in life, and ask for it when you can.
24. Stop talking sh*t about people. I’m so guilty of this I’ll be honest, but when I think about it, what’s the point?! It doesn’t help me in anyway, or them. If people want to be crappy, that’s their prerogative. Avoid them at all costs, but don’t waste your breath or brain capacity thinking about them.
25. Confidence will get you far. It probably won’t come instantly, and it’s definitely easier said than done, but find the things you love about yourself and focus on those. People will instantly be drawn to you and you’ll find yourself rocking interviews, dates, friendships, and being happier overall.
26. Don’t let people pressure you into doing, saying or thinking anything you don’t want to. If they’re going to judge you for not drinking, smoking, going somewhere, or doing something, it’s their problem not yours.
27. You have to have to HAVE to follow your dreams and take whatever path you think it is that you’re meant to take. If life doesn’t turn out how you planned so be it, you’ll pivot and find another path, but if you don’t try you’ll never know.
28. Don’t forget to laugh. Having a sense of humor (& humility) makes the tough stuff so much easier to handle and life a bit easier to get through 🙂