This post is sponsored by Oikos Whole Milk Greek Yogurt but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Aloha from Maui! I am currently on a wellness retreat, but I wanted to share this recipe that I made before I left because honestly I’m kind of hungry rn and could totally go for one…
Anyway! I’m sure you’re tired of hearing about resolutions, diets, fitness goals, and the like, which is why I won’t be sharing any of that on here 🙂 What I’d much rather talk to you about is BALANCE – since that’s how I like to live my life no matter what time of year! You guys know me, I simply refuse to give up food that makes me happy.
Instead? I just exercise some portion control, that’s all! I crave sweets after lunch and dinner almost everyday (and the only reason I don’t crave them for breakfast is because I usually choose a sweet one of those, too!).
Since I know I can’t exactly have dessert twice a day, I’ll opt for something that has some nutritional value but satisfies those cravings like Oikos Greek Yogurt in flavors like Oh-So-Dreamy Orange Cream (used in this recipe!), Café Latté, or Toasted Coconut. Sometimes I even pop them in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour to make them taste like frozen yogurt. So indulgent😍
I made a batch of whole wheat spiced carrot orange muffins with Oikos in Orange Cream, and then frosted them with more yogurt! They look like cupcakes, but they’ve got more goodness in them than that😋 And yes, these are healthy enough to eat for breakfast, but I prefer mine to cap off a long day when my sweet tooth is raging!
Spiced Carrot Orange Muffins with Oikos Greek Yogurt
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher saltl
3/4 cup coconut sugar (or your favorite dry sweetener)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
zest of 1 large orange
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup Oikos Greek Yogurt in Orange Cream
1 cup finely grated carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then line a muffin tin with muffin/cupcake liners. Spray each liner with coconut oil or or your favorite oil spray (otherwise they’ll stick!).
2. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients including: whole wheat flour, oats, spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
3. Next, make a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the melted coconut oil – it’s good to do this before adding the cold liquid ingredients because they’ll just harden the coconut oil!
4. In a liquid measuring cup, add the orange juice and non-dairy milk to total 1 cup of liquid. Add in the two eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt and orange zest and whisk until fully combined.
5. Pour the liquid ingredients into the wet, and fold together with a spatula. Once combined, add in the grated carrots, and continue to fold them in until all the ingredients are equally distributed.
6. Fill the muffin liners about 3/4 of the way full (they don’t rise too much) and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *This recipe should make 12 regular sized muffins
7. Let the muffins cool completely and then frost with the Oikos Greek Yogurt in Orange Cream. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you decide to bake with Oikos, just swap some of the oil in a recipe for the greek yogurt (which is what I did here!). Otherwise, eating by the spoonful is just as tasty😉
Have a great day, y’all!