I have fun one for today, you guys 😍
I think the best part about my job, well the blogging half at least, is getting to be creative in the kitchen! And let me tell you, it feels so good to have more time to do that now that I’m on my own.
I was working with Barbara’s Cereal on an Instagram post (yes, that was sponsored, but this isn’t!), and instead of just putting some cereal in a pretty yogurt bowl like I do so often, I wanted to do something a bit more out of the box! And, on brand, if you will😏
These donuts are insanely easy to make. The hardest part is probably just waiting for the cereal so soak in the milk, honestly.😂 I use Birch Bender’s pancake mix to make things easier, but you could probably use any other pancake mix that works for you! And just be sure to frost the donuts right before you’re ready to eat, otherwise the topping might get soggy.
Milk & Cereal Donuts
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup Barbara’s Honest O’s Honey Nut Cereal (plus more for topping)
1 cup Birch Benders Pancake Mix (I used their Original)
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp vanilla protein powder
2/3 cup powdered sugar + 1 tbsp almond milk for the icing
- In a large bowl, add the almond milk and 1/2 cup of cereal. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease a donut pan with coconut oil or ghee. Drain the cereal from the almond milk and add the milk, pancake mix, eggs, banana, coconut sugar and protein powder. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan until almost full (just under the top of the mold. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Let cool completely before using a butter knife to trace around the outside of the donuts. Using a spoon, carefully remove the donuts from the mold and place on a plate or cutting board.
- In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and almond milk for the icing. Spoon the icing onto each donut one by one, immediately followed by placing the Honey Nut O’s on top, pressing firmly so they don’t slide.
- Serve immediately, or place in an airtight container *without cereal on top* until ready to eat. If you put the cereal on top and let it sit overnight, the cereal might get soggy!
*If you’d like to make these vegan, try using flax eggs and/or another banana in place of the eggs – I can’t promise the texture will be the same, though.
That’s it, y’all! I can’t think of a better reason to treat yourself to a donut than a Tuesday, you know what I mean?😉 Have a great one!